Friday, November 11, 2011

Almost Christmas in Weinheim

So first entry after a long while is about travel, which ranks above photography and sports on the list of top thing I like doing. I'm lucky to have a job that allows me to travel to other countries on business, and pays me well enough so I can save for travels of my own.

In the year I was away from this blog I traveled a few times. Barely two months into my new job I was sent to Germany for a business trip. It was in the middle of winter, and my boss was kinda worried a third-world dude from a tropical country would find it difficult to adjust. News of the worst snowfall in Germany's history, as well as several European airports shutting down due to heavy winter snow didn't help ease her anxiety. Well, she was worried, I was not! In fact I was extremely excited to see snow and experience how it's like wearing a full winter regalia (lol). So the trip happened. I was sent to our office in Weinheim, an hour away from Frankfurt. And oh I loved what I saw! Old buildings on every turn, and a castle on a hill overlooking the entire city. It was -1 Celcius the day I arrived, but I couldn't pass the opportunity to see the city on foot and finally walk on snow covered streets.




And when the time came to get settled in at the office, my German colleagues gave me a seat that looks out to the snow falling outside. They said it's beautiful to see the street below get all white as snow slowly falls. My window view from the Weinheim office was awe inspiring.


But of course, there were the night outs. They took me to the university town called Heidelburg (with a more majestic castle on a hill!) to go drinking at an old brewery. Sauerkraut, bratwurst, blood sausages and beer. Then venison, local cheese and fantastic (and expensive!) wine.




It was almost Christmas time when I was there, so a colleague wanted me to see a traditional German Christkindlesmarkt (Christmas market) in Mannheim. Probably the highlight of the entire trip, as it started to snow really hard when we were there! I was told to try out the gluhwein to ward off the cold. It's hot wine spiked with cinnamon and other spices, served in festive, Christmas-themed cups. Amazing, potent stuff!






This trip was awesome on many levels. But the best was yet to come! I was about to see one of the most beautiful spots on the planet. Next stop was bella Roma!

0 comments:

Post a Comment